Friday, April 28, 2006

Now that I’ve watched “You’re Gonna Miss Me” twice, I feel slightly better versed to blog about it. I purposely didn’t write anything earlier because my first encounter totally depressed me. That and the fact that I didn’t want to spoil anything for readers who I knew would go along tonight. Anyway, it’s not what I expected and although there is performance footage in it, the main crux is a kind of Erickson Vs Erickson for custody of Roky. It's also too long. The stuff with his dad and Sumner’s therapist border on Larry David territory, but not in a good way. Patti Smith, Byron Coley, Gregg Turner and Thurston Moore get a short anecdote each and there are a few major players in Roky’s career missing that might have been able to balance the viewing experience away from being almost exploitative. In his apartment, where he tended to lock himself away, he turned on all kind of instruments and appliances to create a din that may somehow have kept his demons at a fathomable level. Like a sonic force field. I wanted a film that concentrated on the music, that celebrated what he means in the rock firmament. Roky is responsible for some of the most heart-rending music ever made. Any hint of that is buried deep in dysfunctional ugliness that ends up tainting any positive trajectory this may have set out with. By the end, Roky seems to be making progress and as we know he’s been doing shows since so that’s something. My overall feeling with the film is of disappointment. I know you most probably need to see it for yourself and by all means do but beware of the doldrums it may banish you too is all.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thoroughly agree with you. I feel like somewhat of an insider into the Erickson family, so I am posting this anonymously. The film was a complete dis-service to Roky. Usually, an artist gets one documentary in his life, and it is a SHAME that this film exists. It needs to be placed on the shelf, right above the trash can, followed by prayers of a major earthquake.... But unfortunately, Roky's brother Sumner is promoting it. Why? I have no clue. No interviews of the Aliens, no interviews of the Explosives, not a mention of his recent shows.

Roky's huge influences were completely overlooked. It played out like a Maury Povich show. Did this guy Keven McAllister think this would bring new fans to Roky? Could he have missed the point that this film makes people NOT want to learn of Roky? This smug director gave a Q & A following a recent showing and did I mention he was smug? lol. He should be shunned for his crime. I will tell him exactly what I think when I see him alone. And to think he is on Roky's Board of Trustees even! This was a major breach of trust. I could go on.....

Lindsay Hutton said...

Thanks for posting that. Yeah I really smelled a rat with this. I've seen several "good reviews" of it and I wonder what these people were on when they saw it. It baffles me to think that Sumner figures it'll do his brother any good at all. Or any of them for that matter. It doesn't even really play out as a story. I think someone will come along and do another documentary to banish this. To give Roky the recognition he deserves in a positive sense. Maybe the guy who did the Daniel Johnston film could do it? The campaign for justice starts right here.

Anonymous said...

I saw a picture of the twit that made this thing, and based on that I decided to pass. It's always a shame when complete fking idiots latch onto the cool stuff.