Thursday, September 16, 2004

There is little I can add to what has already been written all over the web or Lindsay's on the ball post below. Suffice to say that I'd never imagined that the story of "our Beatles" would end so soon.
Johnny was the only Ramone I've never met in person, but at almost every of the two dozen or so shows I've seen 'm do over the years I always made sure I stood in front of his side of the stage just to get an extra earfull of the near static blur that emitted from his Marshall stacks. He was indeed, as Lindsay once called him, the eye of the hurricane.
In my teens I sat up night-after-night trying to play along to the It's Alive album (downstroke only!), like literally thousands of kids must have done, and often had to give up halfway 'cause my wrist started to hurt. He was the perfect rolemodel for a budding stringwrecker like me, and it was bizarre to learn later on that what must be the most influential guitarist of his generation hardly ever played on his own records.
If Johnny B Goode could play his guitar like ringing a bell, Johnny Ramone could do it so much faster 'n louder, to the point that the ringing in your ears wouldn't stop for days on end...

Rest in peace John.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Big J, what's all this about "it was bizarre to learn later on that what must be the most influential guitarist of his generation hardly ever played on his own records"? I knew about End Of The Century, etc., but what else didn't the great JR play orn? He's prob'ly up there, sittin' onna LazyBoy cloud, between Ronnie Reagan and John Wayne, watching the Yankees and moaning about John Kerry ... But, fuck it, JR's politics come second base to The Ramones, as far as I'm concerned (and, yeah, I AM concerned about the possibility of four more years of Dumass Dubya!) ... Joss

Jeroen Vedder said...

Don't have the time to look it up right now, but note the "thanks to Walter Lure" mentions on several albums. Daniel Rey also "guested" on several LPs while Ed Stasium apperantlty did the bulk on Road To Ruin. Wasn't Andy involved in one of the later discs as well?. And on a related note; research for the Rhino re-issues also made it clear that It's Alive was a studio job with dubbed in crowdnoise.

Anonymous said...

Walter Lure did play on several Ramones albums (everything from pleasant dreams till animal boy off the top of my head) but it was alongside Johnny Ramone, not instead of (you can hear it)

More on "It's Alive" here http://website.lineone.net/~murrayramone/ItsAlive.htm - it's hard to tell 100%, but from what I've seen the it's alive album is more genuine than I was previously led to believe

Jeroen Vedder said...

The site above features tons of strange and interesting Ramones trivia. Well worth a peek.