Wednesday, September 01, 2004

For weeks and months we've been building up the DKT/MC5 thing and the bus rolled into Glasgow. Obviously being in THE GARAGE, this gave cause for concern from the git-go but the doors opened at 6.30pm and there were 3 supports. No idea what the first one was. Second was WE DO BAD MUSIC or something. Third was The Icarus Line and they should all be lined up against that very thing (whatever it is) and shot. All of which meant that the curfew, after which the place turns into a karaoke bar or whatever, was looming fast. The DKT/MC5 came on at 9.05 - 9.10 and might have just nudged an hour in total and they completely shredded. Highlights were "The Human Being Lawnmower" and "Sister Anne". The latter featuring the greatest faux brass band close ever witnessed. But there was no time for "Starship", or "Looking At You", or "The American Ruse" so I'm feeling a tad shortchanged here. Not by the band but by the organisation that runs this fucking venue. I would strongly advise anybody against ever attending a show there. It's a disco that fleeces the rock punters with overpriced drinks and dumbass security. It's a jobsworth's paradise alright and I'll not be dawning it's door again no matter who plays there. The band were burning so goddamn bright and then it was all over. With a sizeable bang rather than a whimper but imagine the glow from the radiation that a whole show would have mustered. Our London cousins certainly got the jump on us this time and that ol' chestnut of "ever get the feeling you've been cheated" is ringing in my ears. I hope Nottingham fares better tonight. Wodjagonnado... indeed...

Read Brother Joss's report on the London show HERE!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Argh, the curse of the curfew! I've lost count of the shows I've seen stopped short 'cos of this BULLSHIT! Why can't the idiots realise that we've paid good money for the main band, so should therefore guaranteee we get the full show. Oh, that implies they actually give a toss, silly me. One lot of cattle out, next lot of cattle in.
Dave

Lindsay Hutton said...

Yeah. It's naive I know, expecting these people to give a toss. It'll be interesting to hear what kinda bullshit I get fed from "The Garage" proprieters but I'm planning to rattle that cage damn hard!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, 'twas truly offensive ...a hall fulla people who had waited various parts of 35 years to see one of the greatest rock'n'roll acts ever & had paid £15 to be ushered out like livestock with no opportunity for their heroes to give them an encore. And the supports (I never saw the 1st one either) ...but the 2 I saw stank of corporate buy-ons & it being a good career move for them ...they certainly weren't there to pay homage to the legend that is the MC5.
Anyways it was a great show despite the bullshit at either end of the 5's set.
Keep the Faith ..........Jim Spence

Lindsay Hutton said...

Here's what I sent to CPL, I don't expect a reply but y'ken...

Mr McLeod
I'm writing to complain about the utter disgrace that the DKT/MC5 show turned into last Tuesday (31st August). I've been at gigs which have been curtailed by your "curfew" before but this took the prize. The historical significance of the show notwithstanding.
The audience was subjected to three completely inappropriate support acts and ended up with the band everybody paid to see having to drastically curtail their set. Then everybody gets herded out by your security in a generally obnoxious fashion to make way for some other "club" night to start. Wasn't it enough to be fleeced for the ticket and bar prices? It wasn't that the people who attended the shows were kids, the throng was verging on the mature side and I'm sure that being barked at by neanderthals was way down their list that evening. I presume this security is "only following orders" but the experience of visiting The Garage is never, in my experience, pleasant.
Anyway, it seems like CPL care little for the people attend shows at The Garage. I for one, will not darken the doors of the place again no matter how much I want to see a band or artist. It's happened too many times now. I've heard that you're a music fan? With that in mind, why would you have an establishment of yours treat other music fans like cattle?? Or maybe that's not an issue in the roll 'em in, roll 'em out nature of your business...
Anyway, you'd do well to consider this and perhaps even address the way you operate. It won't actually affect me at all because I'm not planning to attend anything bearing the CPL logo in the future.
yours, etc., LINDSAY HUTTON