Sunday, August 22, 2004

DTK/MC5 at the Paradiso, Amsterdam.
It was close call but I nearly missed this one. But as it is, I made it to the Paradiso in record time by bus, train and taxi. And was it ever worth the bother!.
I missed the first part and came in durin' 'Call Me Animal', havin' seen the 'A True Testimonial' film I didn't need to adjust to Five's current looks and only had to wonder if the hippy guy on stage was or wasn't Evan Dando (he wasn't). The sound was great from where I was standing, and there's obviously no complainin' as far as the songs go; 'Lookin' At You', 'Shakin' Street', you name it. The addition of Nicky Royale was a cool move, he really took songs like 'American Ruse' and 'Gotta Keep Movin'' to another level. Excuse the incoherence here, but the adrenaline is still flowin' as I'm writin' this. 'I Believe To My Soul', 'I'm The Man For You Baby', 'Highschool' and even 'Starship' were beyond believe. Kramer, Thompson and Davis deserve all the credits due to 'm and more.
At one point I realized I was standing next to Lisa Kekaula, who is to join the band for the next leg of the tour, she was groovin', almost casually, to the band, applauding', singin' along, and suddenly I got a hunch that you Brits might be in luck gettin' to see her on stage in the next few days (and this comin' from someone who can't stand the Bell-Rays!).
OK, I really gotta go get some sleep. Final note: got to see the Forty-Fives in the upstairs bar afterwards and they rocked!. They're tourin' Euroland right now, and you owe it to yourself to go 'n check 'm out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Told ya they wuz gonna be awesome! Shame that there's some rotten supports in the UK - Mooney Suzuki, Do Me Bad Things - apart from The Icarus Line who, even if they ain't yer cup o'meat, are at least righteously provocative (for spraying "corporate whores" on The Strokes' tour bus, they'll always have a place in my rancid heart!) ... Joss

Jeroen Vedder said...

I recognised Mark Arm allright, and he did a great job BTW, but didn't find out about this Johnny Walker guy 'til afterwards.