Wednesday, June 02, 2004

Yeah it's definitley better that there's no real appropriation of The Ramones out there. Nothing brought that home to me like Joe's most recent Birthday Bash. My misgivings are based upon a sadness that Joey never got to see what he meant to people. Not the way he deserved to anyway. No matter what the gesture, The Alkaline Trio do not serve as a fitting memorial to the guy who really had it all. I never rated Mark as a drummer but rather tolerated his position within the band. His spoken word tours do little to underpin the importance of the combo he ended up in. Whilst I enjoyed being at the Bash to celebrate Joe and dug a chunk of the proceedings, I personally didn't reckon that what went down was a fitting memorial to Joey. A wise man told me to remember that even when Joe was alive, some of the bills he put together could be kind of ramshackle. Whilst that offered a perspective, I think the big guy would have dug the Star Spangles/Chesterfield Kings/Romantics triple whammy a night later just a wee bit more. That's what I like to think anyway.

No comments: