Sunday, November 02, 2003


While typin' this I'm surround by what could be best described as a Christo-type work of art, everything around me is covered in plastic. As of tomorrow we will, albeit temporarily, no longer have a roof over our heads, not to mention the fact that it looks like I won't be able to take a shower here for at least three weeks !. Yep the re/de-construction of HQ is in full effect.
But as promised I'll still try to give you some updates on what I'm diggin' culture wise.
So here goes; Bacchus Archives have just reissued the stellar first 45 by LA powerpop legends The Quick. Main tune on this 45 is 'Pretty Please', a song most of you will know as by either the Dickies or Redd Kross, but to quote Dobie Gray; "the original is still the greatest". The latest batch from Ace Records includes a solid soul comp with all tunes related to the war in Vietnam. ''A Soldier's Sad Story' is easily one of the best soul comps since those Dave Godin compiled 'Deep Soul Treasures' series. From Soul Jazz comes 600 % Dynamite, a real "grower" featuring a bunch of fantastic (and even to me) obscuro Jamaican hits, that are sure to highlight your next shindig. Hey, I gotta agree with Lindsay's POV on the Nomads tribute disc. The fact that there are a number o' tunes on this that the guys did in tribute themselves, should be evidence enough that they are masters at creating their own body of work no matter the source.
'N yeah, this might seem like shorthand, I know... Too bad, but I'm headin' for my last shower in what might be weeks right now, so please forgive me for bein' so brief here....
Damn, almost forgot mentioning the Dirtbombs latest. Easily one of the top 5 p-rock/garage discs this year...

No comments: