Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Excuse me, I'm in a modicum of discomfort here having burned the skin off the roof of my fecking mouth and it's smarting like something that's smarting a lot...

So how do you stand on the reported imminent death of the “album”?

I’m not so sure that it’ll directly affect fans of music per se. Maybe the countless thousands on the periphery never gave a hoot anyway? If it stops a bunch of chancers assembling something around one track to milk the hard earned moolah out of folks who are easily duped then bring it on. Been reading a lot of opinion on all this and it seems to me that the end result will be the fall of your Virgins, HMV’s and the like. HMV has reportedly bought some FOPP's and plans to reopen them ASAP but they want to retainthe identity they had. And how's that supposed to bloody work? The megastores gave up on music ages ago anyway. Banishing it to other floors to embrace the dvd so fuck them. They also charge too much but they have to pay their rent somehow I imagine. Wherever possible, I urge you to buy your stuff directly from the artist or from an independent shop. The dust may well settle when these huge outlets finally crash.

While I am prone to downloading a little bit, I can’t see it being the way I enjoy music ever. Not being an ipod or mobile phone receptacle owner, I’m waiting until the global jukebox model hits. This will involve the act registering their material in a huge inventory that will be accessed through a portal such as TV or monitor. The “purchase” of a track or several will then be administered at source and the owner of the material will be paid. Not unlike selling an article on ebay or whatever. These huge stores are just overheads. They serve no social purpose. Which makes me think, I’ve been meaning to watch High Fidelity again. To bring back the (gooder) old days to the rapidly aging, increasingly agitated yours truly.

Having stuck my toe in the fetid waters of ebay once again recently, it wasn't terribly pleasurable. On top of the palaver itself, the way the mail setup here is now means that there are all kinds of whys and wherefores to consider. While magazines seem to pass for "letter rate", everything else (records, cd's etc.) is "packet" which means that they rack up the cost. I think I mentioned before that recent activities by this once proud organisation definitley indicate a trajectory of freefall. On top of that you get nickel and diming with regard to postage. I charge postage at cost, that means if somebody wants recorded delivery then that's what they get. At exactly what it costs to mail. Some people just fire in an inordinate amount to begin with, which doesn't seem to deter buyers. I've paid a couple of quid for something I know was only 34p to ship but that's a symptom of the disease. It's not enough to get all bent outta shape about but it rankles and is the fundamental reason why I try to work the way I do. Most people are fine to deal with. Some of 'em are even a pleasure but it's the fineglars that spoil it. My old practise of actually mailing stuff before it was paid for hit the dust a long time ago. You can just never tell. Oh sure, I want to get rid of the stuff that's gathering dust before I turn to same but is this the best way to go about it?

Angel said to me the other day "you made it".

I did but it's been a bumpy, stuff-festooned journey.

6 comments:

martin63 said...

You've been gulping down those deep fried Mars Bars again Mr H haven't you? Now you already knew they'd do you serious mouth damage!!

CD prices coming down big time is long overdue. I don't have a hell a lot of sympathy for the record industry (what a great label name that would be!) but when only one in 5 downloads is estimated to be legit and paid for you don't need to be a genius to work out that something will have to give before too long. I'm no luddite and was an early adopter when it came to the web but I'm almost perversely proud that I've never downloaded a thing when it comes to music - it's just not a format that interests me. I want something tangible and I want to see the music presented in the way the artist wanted to present it, complete with artwork & liner notes, not in a clinical emotionless electronic format.

Virgin are now closing stores in the US and going down the Tower path. How the HMV stores in the UK make money I don't know. I suspect they don't and it will all flame out before long. The demise of Fopp was very sad but they clearly over stretched themselves and got too big too quick in an era when overall sales are well down and high street rents continue to rise astronomically.

Funny you should mention "High Fidelity". I was in Chicago 2 weeks ago and had intended to do a little jaunt around looking for all the stores in the film made in 1999, only to be told by my Windy City born and bred pal Andrew not to bother - most of them are long gone. Sadly that is the tale the world over from London to Paris to Chicago. The one city they do seem to survive in is Antwerp - a mecca for vinyl hounds I promise you and still reasonably priced. What keeps those stores open? Well local vinyl fanatics like Dirk "Ungawa" Roeyen help www.ungawa.be but I suspect much more reasonable rents for the shops are a big factor. They can actually make a decent profit.

The trend of bands making good money from selling their cds at shows is one I heartily approve of. However I have heard on numerous occasions of bands not being able to buy their cds from their own record label to enable them to do this, and even sometimes having to scour EBay for copies!! Ridiculous.

On the subject of EBay both of my 2 former Amazon.com colleagues who went to EBay have left in recent months. Maybe a coincidence but I do suspect that it's another case of "things ain't what they used to be" for that institution. I wonder if the rapid closure of many post offices in the UK is having an impact upon them as close proximity to a Post Office without massive queues has to be a major factor for most EBay sellers I suspect.

Enough for now.....things ain't what they were is most certainly the case, but it's not all bad. Wonders like You Tube, internet radio and other new media do help to keep life exciting as well as a whole home grown music community through the likes of blogs etc.

Martin

Kitty Kowalski said...

I bought $1000 worth of vinyl records the first month I joined eBay. I was able to fulfill my adolescent fantasy of owning certain records, not that I actually have money.

But seriously - I have not been to a record shop in forever, and I' not sure if I miss it. I still buy CDs but through amazon or from band web sites. I only go to record shops when I travel as it's a good way to check out the local scene.

I do download a lot of music but have not reonciled the computer/iPod to the stereo. What happens when I want to blast something out of my big speakers? I could hook up the iPod but it's a pain. Stereo receivers need to have wireless web access or something, like you jukebox idea...

Lindsay Hutton said...

Yeah, I know. I should wait for them to cool but they're just so great when they're white hot.

We're lucky here I guess in that there's still a couple of stores in Glasgow that have the old vibe. Hitting up stores when travelling is great too but I guess we have to face facts. Getting stuff from the band or artist has to be the best way although sometimes that doesn't always pan out. As to why a record company wouldn't let an artist sell their wares at a show, well those buggers don't deserve anybody's support. I understand in the old days that the excuse was that stores wouldn't stock it if that happened. The boot is on the other foot now, if somebody won't shell after seeing the show then it's unlikely the attention span will run to the next time they're in a shop. If indeed they can find one.

Unknown said...

I wonder, has anyone ever released an album on all 12" singles, besides PIL?

Anonymous said...

Wotcha,

Firstly, nice one for getting this ship afloat . . . good luck with it all. As one door closes, another one . . . etc!

As for the dearth of the LP . . . only those unable to check their stance in the humility mirror will suffer. Real music, whatever the genre, will continue to be made in traditional shapes & sizes by people who care, for people with taste! Period.

This is a mainstream phenomenon that has no bearing on the underground, in my humble, etc, etc!

Good luck chaps. Tight lines.

Toodle pip
Encoule
www.trakMARX.com

Anonymous said...

Wotcha,

Firstly, nice one for getting this ship afloat . . . good luck with it all. As one door closes, another one . . . etc!

As for the dearth of the LP . . . only those unable to check their stance in the humility mirror will suffer. Real music, whatever the genre, will continue to be made in traditional shapes & sizes by people who care, for people with taste! Period.

This is a mainstream phenomenon that has no bearing on the underground, in my humble, etc, etc!

Good luck chaps. Tight lines.

Toodle pip
Encoule
www.trakMARX.com