Sunday, June 03, 2007

Checking out stuff here and there and keep getting distracted. I'm anxious about how The Sopranos is panning out. I read something that kind of disturbed me which I won't share because it may irk you also. So I put on the Au Revoir Simone album "The Bird Of Music" not expecting much of anything. I saw them when HS was on a co-bill at The Water Rats last November and never really got it. It was too loud and too monotonous in that room, a pity because the soundcheck sounded pretty darn groovy. Plus it's not realistic to expect anyone to follow Annika + co, as you know...

Anyway, this is a cool little summer breeze not unlike an altered Strawberry Switchblade. It's also like Martin Rev programming The ShangriLas. A couple of weeks after that London show they got in tow with David Lynch when he was doing a book signing. This also recalls his "Floating Into The Night" Julee Cruise period. Not as haunting but similarly hypnotic. I can hear now how he'd be smitten. So i'm not sure it works live but I think I'm gonna be coming back to this over the weeks to come. Christ, it might even make it out to the car tomorrow morning...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Saw Au Revoir Simone a month or so ago here in Philly. They were opening for Peter, Bjorn & Nino (don't know what happened to John). They were cute. Seemed like a band who I could enjoy the odd single by, but don't know if a whole album would sustain interest. Heather is from across the river in Jersey. She introduced her mother out in the audience, who was even odds to be younger than me, which is where one's mind goes when overwhelming outnumbered by 18 year old girls. Have no idea how that many youngsters would know who PB&J are let alone be able to sing along with 75% of the songs. Heather came out and sang the female part of what I assume is PB&J's big Triple A song over here.