Friday, October 14, 2005

Since I'm still somewhat disabled as far as typing goes, here's only a (very) brief update on what's doin' the RPM's on HQ's hi-fi. First 'n foremost it's the various Stooges re-issues; the 2LP editions of both Elektra LPs not only offer some splendid extras, but easily blow any previous issue I own outta the water fidelity wise. Mentioned the accompanying 45s earlier on, but please be also on the look out for Sundazed's re-ish of the Search & Destroy/Penetration 7". It's such a blast the finally be able to spin S&D on this format. Was there ever a better intro? Rhino's Children Of Nuggets box-set also holds a lot of amazing material. And surprisingly plenty I'd never heard before. Long time NBT readers might find a lot of the inclusions rather obvious, but like the original Nuggets sets, this one can't be beat for shear start-to-finish playing pleasure. Sure, there's stuff I'd put on there if I was in charge (the Gun Club, Screamin' Blue messiahs, Scientists, New Christs etc. come to mind). But then again, with 5 hours of good, good music to enjoy; who's complainin'? Current day nuggets are supplied by the Reigning Sound. Hot on the heels of the fab-o Home For Orphans disc, comes the equally fine (but totally different) Live At Maxwell's on Spoonful. Liner notes by Miriam Linna should be all the recommendation you need...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just want to say that all involved did a great job on this long overdue retrospective. I remember those days like they were yesterday. I 'd be lying if I said I had all the original 45's , but a quick look I was only missing about 12 or so. There's a lot of selections I would quibble over, But great job nontheless. Curious on how a pastiche of the sound ( Dukes of XTC) was the lead off track , but it works. Split the cramps photo over two pages; is Lux giving me the finger??
The Rhino Girl Group box is also very very very nicely done with a lot of rare tracks.