Saturday, May 14, 2005

Another week down and not a moment too soon. So far I'm managing to keep a lid on the crap so that's something. Now more than ever, I can't suffer egocentric tossers gladly or in any other fashion 'cept their napper on a stick. But I digress, Friday the 13th 2005 was a good day all tolled. A full report comin' up later...

Whist on the Tesco run this morning, I saw a poster which said "Community Fete - May 14th", er, today. Then it hit me, at this time, exactly 29 years ago myself and my cronies took ourselves to London to see Kiss. On the same day, Scotland beat England at football and we heckled the support act Stray with witty one liners like "2 - 1, 2 - 1". "Fack off" replied the frontguy in ironic master of wit and repartee mode. Oh how we laughed. Anyway prior to this, we had collectively scoured the capital looking for copies of a very special record. It was hard to find because Nick Kent had lit the blue touch paper on the Thursday before. Even although it was a pricey import, this platter was in demand. After covering many miles, we tracked just two copies down to Harlequin in Dean Street. That meant three of our patrol had to do without. Can't remember how we sorted out who was gonna have them but we did and I bagged one of them. The other was snaffled by my long, gone compatriot Jack Seath (who may well be hangin' out with Joe as I tap). Anyway - the disc in question sported a now iconic photo by one Roberta Bayley, can you guess what it was yet?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Uh, Maybe Da Ramones??

Lindsay Hutton said...

Correctamundo! Thanks for entering into the spirit o' da post...

martin63 said...

I remember the day well Lindsay - Don Masson scoring and Kenny Dalglish putting the ball through Ray Clemence legs for number 2! I cannot claim to have been into the Ramones at that time (that came one year later with the release of Sheena) but good memories - and what an epic album to pick up on import! Who else was with you on your trip - either of the Guthrie bros?

Best wishes

Martin

Lindsay Hutton said...

Wow, that's some detail there... no Guthries on that field trip but there was Jake and David Seath, Brian (Monty) Montgomery, Roy Litts and myself. Four of us (No Monty but with Gordon Reid substituting) would later make the July 4th 1976 schlep to The Round'ouse where I met Joe and the others for the first time. Each of us got a minature baseball bat which I'm looking at right this minute.

Anonymous said...

Through his legs - tchh tchh thchh (with tchh tchh tchh being the clapping sound)

I remember the day also, it was a sunny day like today if I remember correctly - I missed the goal itself, but my brothers description of it was probably better. Those were the days when we had the telly on with the sound turned down and the commentry from radio Scotland on my dads old Bush tranny (the only thing in the world other than a car that uses batteries the size of a loaf of bread - or so it seemed at the time) plus the Radio commentry was so much more exciting.

I also didnt get the Ramones until I heard Sheena on the charts on the Radio, thats another day that sticks in my head, burning stuff in the back garden with Sheena is burning itself into my head


Murray

Anonymous said...

There wuz me thinking it was The Beakles!