Monday, October 25, 2004

Jeremy (Gluck) posted this as a comment but I think it deserves a more prominent platform so apologies if you're industrious enough to pour over the commentary and this might be repetition to you...

"Dear NBT

I posted this on the Barracudas Group. It hasn't really hit me until now what a great creator and character we have lost. God gets it wrong again :( Post follows:

On the morning of our departure for Paris, Robin told me about Greg's sudden passing. From the time I was maybe 15 Greg Shaw and BOMP signified a very important part of rock'n'roll to me. I rememeber my friend's treasured copy of the Groovies single. I met Greg in 1982 when we played a show in Paris. He'd already released Drop Out on VOXX and I kept the letter he sent me about Drop Out for years, because for Greg to like my band was quite astounding and a validation of the highest order. I recall Robin and I rapping with Greg, his telling us about his mammoth record collexion. We kept in touch, he was always warm and very receptive and a true believer of the kind that is now in short supply. Few people have done as much for or meant as much to makers and lovers of real rock'n'roll. I'm proud to have counted Greg as a mentor and friend and am glad The Barracudas are still BOMP/VOXX artists. It's fair to say that Greg left a tremendous legacy and many are saddened by his passing. I know our feelings are with his family and closest friends. As Dylan said, Death is not the end. But sometimes, for a moment, that isn't much comfort. Jeremy"

2 comments:

Lindsay Hutton said...

Cheers. J, what's your e-mail handle? The one I had is bouncin' back....

Jeroen Vedder said...

Been tryin' to figure all day how to put in mere words something that resembles my feelings of loss here, but Jeremy hits the nail right on the proverbial whatsis, so much so that I couldn't have said it better myself. Having only exchanged a couple of emails with Greg over the years I can't say I knew him on a personal level, but still, like the Ramones, he, or better yet; what he represented, is a big part of my personal set up.
Not only did he put out some absolutly stellar records, published a great magazine and did more than just about anbody to further the cause of "real" music in any way imaginable, but more importantly, he actually inspired countles people (including myself) to take their life's course into their own hands. And if only for that he desrves a front seat at the eternal shindig in the sky...